Sunday 21 September 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching

Today has been a lovely Sunday. After a slightly wet family walk yesterday, I've had a great day out with the kids and my mum and dad today: feeding the ducks, eating lunch outside and running round the playground for a couple of hours. Lovely. A real last gasp of summer

This week I've been trying my hand at hand quilting and I've finished of the 10" panel below. I love the vibrant yellow on this print, a real summery colour. It's been sitting in my stash for over a year, but leapt out at me when I was looking for a print to try some hand work on.



This is only my second go at hand quilting (and my first go was big stitches only), so this was a bit of a challenge. I chose to quilt with white thread along the white lines in the flowers, hoping to end up with something usable, even if the quilting went a little wonky. The stitches were pretty uneven to start with,...


But they improved as I went on, and by the end I was pretty pleased with them. I'm keen to see what will happen to the texture after a wash, when the fabrics softened up a bit.



I'm figuring this will be a nice little cushion with the addition of a border (especially as the back looks a bit of a mess)

I've loved the slow stitching in front of the telly during the week, and I can definitely see myself doing a bit more as the evening start to draw in. In fact, I'm tempted to cut up the rest of the fabric and start another panel right now. I do think it would look great on the front of a tote bag.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at  freshly pieced and  Kathy at

Slow Sunday Stitching

11 comments:

  1. Awesome quilting! So excited to see another quilter taking the plunge... so happy you enjoyed it!
    This will make a fab pillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I've been watching all the lovely things you and your followers post each week for a while, and glad I finally braved it.

      Delete
  2. Looking really good! This could get addictive you know.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that print & your quilting...what a good idea to practice on a print you like. I'd definitely make this into a pillow front...it's so pretty!
    xo
    Debbie
    ===^..^===

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitten. Finally having used it make me feel better about impulse buying it in the first place :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donna. I love getting things finished and cushions are so much more achievable than quilts. Not that we need any more in this household!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stitching - cushions are wonderful for trying out new techniques aren't they? Really love the colour of the print you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hand quilting looks great on that fabric. What a great idea, I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE hand quilting - and yours looks great. I like the way you used your stitches to highlight the pattern of the fabric, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete